Sunday, March 15, 2009

Expert Opinion

Ah yes...its that time of the year again. As you very well (probably) know today was Selection Sunday for the NCAA Tournament (referred to by many as simply "The Dance", "The Show", or "March Madness"). And yet again my much beloved Tarheels are a #1 seed. And once again I will be filling out my brackets by first writing in my baby blues all the way through, and the rest shall follow. Aside from this here are my expert opinions on this years bracket and tournament (feel free to disagree but you and I both know who is right):
  1. KU a 3-seed?!!----I am not saying this purely out of my deep resentment of all things Jayhawk but what in the world are they thinking! From my understanding a 3-seed should be a legitimate Top 10 team and lets face it, KU is not there yet. It would have made much more sense for a team in their own bracket even, Wake, and KU to switch seeds; considering Wake was actually ranked #1 at some point this season and has consistently been in the Top 10 for the majority of the year. The only thing that does appease me some is that a much deserving MU team so too got a 3-seed (i'm not a total homer).
  2. Glad to see Arizona made it. Not to take anything away from other bubble teams like St. Mary's, Creighton, or San Diego St. (notice no mention of Penn State--see below) but this was the correct choice. First off nobody would have cared to see any of those three teams play Utah and second Arizona is more talented then all those teams. They should actually win their first round game and possible go even further. Zona also had better (albeit it home-court) wins.
  3. Alls I want to know is how the heck is Philadelphia considered West? West of what? New York? Being the world class geography bee-whiz I am, it seems odd to me that the City of Brotherly Love is playing host to first round games in the West Regional bracket.
  4. Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan????------I mean come on. Who in their right minds puts 7, count em, 7 Big Ten teams in the tourney. How can one even begin to say that they are deserving of the same number of bids as the vaunted Big East or the under-ratedly (is that a word? is now) difficulty ACC? I am sorry but Big Ten basketball is flat out boring and will not get the job done. I will venture to say that all three of these teams will bow out in the first round. And to think, Joe Schmo Lundardi once said 8 Big Ten teams would make it (sorry Penn State, your not legit).
  5. I am not saying that K-State is more deserving than any team currently in the field (save a few Big Ten teams maybe) but I found these stats (found them myself) interesting-----Seeds that KSU beat: 3, 7, 13, 9------Seeds that KSU lost to: 3, 3, 2, 8.....Not bad, I'm still proud of my Wildcats. WATCH OUT ILLINOIS STATE!!

so long for now,

-j.

PS----watching Planet Earth in HD is the best thing ever.

No comments: