Thursday, March 5, 2009

Back by Popular Demand.

Alright so I guess its been a while since I posted last, too long for some. So here we go. As I said in my last one, I am gonna fill everyone in on my Kenya trip. Well today isn' t that day. Well sort of. I will just give you a short run down. Heres the scoop:
  • As most of you know, I have been dreaming of going to Africa for a long long time. Well this year, through the K-State International Service Teams Program I finally found my opportunity. After being acccepted into the program I learned that I was going to be sent to Nyeri, Kenya for 10 weeks this summer. Nyeri is a city about 70 km (not sure what that means haha) North of Nairobi. While there we (3 other members on my team, they are great) will be working with the Children and Youth Empowerment Centre. Basically it is a center that provides shelter, food, education and other services to the many "street" children (otherwise homeless children). There goal is to provide services and education that will allow them to become self-sustainable adults and keep them off the streets upon reaching adulthood. Its a very cool program and I am super excited. So there is the basic rundown for now. I am in the process of creating a seperate Blog that I will link up to this one that and Notes. I will update it throughout this semester and during my trip (duh).

****TODAY AND TOMMORROW: My team and I will be in the Union "selling" Fake Pattys Day t-shirts in an effort to raise money for our trip. I appreciate any and all support and hope to see everyone there. If you are not able to or dont want a T-shirt there will be plenty other opportunites to support us later in the semester. Non-monetary support is equally valued as well. Ha I am not just saying that either. I am always more than willing to talk about my trip, answer questions or any of that.

That is all,

-j.

No comments: